Because eChalk is K-12 only, our application is not bloated with features designed to support Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), distance learning, asynchronous courses, and other features aimed at a variety of adult learning scenarios but not commonly used in the K-12 arena.
Our system is designed to be:
- Simple: eChalk has just the features you need, and none of the complexity that you don’t. That means teachers and students can be up and running in no time.
- Safe: The bar for safety and security for younger learners is higher than for adults. We build our communication and collaboration tools specifically for younger learners to keep them safe. In addition, we do not sell student data or advertise to users.
- Holistic: K-12 students don’t experience school as simply a collection of classes. School also means sports, extracurricular activities and special events. eChalk is built to support K-12 students’ WHOLE school experience.
Yes, we have many individual public, private and charter schools in the eChalk family.
Yes, you certainly can. And if, in the future, you want to expand to use the LMS features, it’s as simple as adding student and teacher accounts.
Yes, you can. In this case, you will be able to use Classes and Groups for all of your licensed users, and the public website functionality will be turned off.
eChalk provides a more robust and full-featured platform to support teaching and learning. Just like Google Class, you will be able to access files from your Google Drive, accept files in a Homework Drop Box and maintain a class news feed. But with eChalk, you can also do a whole lot more:
- Create media rich, interactive multi-step online lessons to support “flipped classrooms” and other emerging models
- Manage and organize multiple class sections and share content and lesson plans with co-teachers
- Track and communicate grades using a robust Gradebook
- Keep parents in the loop with visibility into their children’s classroom and extracurricular activities
- Maintain your public teacher pages on the same site parents come to for school and district information
- Give students a centralized place for their whole school life, including clubs, teams and more
eChalk is a cloud-based application. Therefore, all that is required is an internet connection and a browser.
We use stringent standards for website development and hosting to protect your data integrity and ensure maximum uptime for your sites. eChalk production databases are backed up via real-time transactional updates; full backups are performed daily. Data is stored redundantly in multiple facilities and on multiple devices within each facility. eChalk has an uptime history of 99.98%.
At eChalk, we take data security seriously. We use up-to-date encryption and authentication to keep passwords and user data secure. Specifically:
- User passwords: eChalk does not store any user passwords; eChalk stores only encrypted hashes of passwords so passwords can never be stolen.
- Files and resources: These are secured by multiple methods including but not limited to time-based access tokens, role-based permissioning and other proprietary methods.
- Logged-in communication: All logged in communications are encrypted using SSL.
eChalk is compatible with all standard browsers and operating systems, including current versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox and all versions of Internet Explorer currently supported by Microsoft.
eChalk releases new updates several times per year. These updates happen automatically and are included in your eChalk subscription at no additional cost.